Routing Algorithm is a part of network layers software .It is responsible for deciding the output line over which a packet is to be sent.
Routing is the process of forwarding the packets from source to the destination but the best route to send the packets is determined by the routing algorithm.
Whether the network layer provides datagram service or virtual circuit service, the main job of the network layer is to provide the best route. The routing protocol provides this job.
Desired Properties of a routing algorithm
Types of Routing Algorithm
The Routing algorithm is divided into two categories:
- Non-adaptive Routing algorithm
- Adaptive Routing algorithm
- For Non-Adaptive Algorithm, the routing decision is not based on the measurement or estimation of current traffic and topology.
- The choice of the route is done in advance, offline and it is downloaded to the routes.
- This algorithm is also known as the dynamic routing algorithm.
Types of Non-Adaptive Routing algorithm (Static Algorithm)
- Shortest Path Routing
- Flow Based Routing
- For Adaptive Algorithm, the routing decision can be changed if there are any changes in topology or traffic, etc.
- The main parameters related to this algorithm are hop count(HOP counts refer to the number of devices, usually routers, that a piece of data travels through), distance, and estimated transit time.
- This algorithm is also known as the dynamic routing.
Types of Adaptive Routing algorithm (Dynamic Algorithm)
- Centralized algorithm
- Isolation algorithm
- Distributed algorithm