In this article you will learn how to create Python YouTube Downloader with Pytube.
Python YouTube Video Downloader is an application to download videos from YouTube. This provides users to download videos they need on their devices and watch them offline.
To implement this project we use basic concept of python, tkinter, pytube library.
- Tkinter is the standard GUI library for Python. Python when combined with Tkinter provides a fast and easy way to create GUI applications.
- pytube is a very serious, lightweight, dependency-free Python library (and command-line utility) for downloading YouTube Videos.
To install the required modules run pip installer command on the command line:
pip install tkinter Pip install pytube
These are the following steps to build youtube video downloader project in python :
- Import libraries
- Create display window
- Create field to enter link
- Create function to start downloading
1. Import Libraries
Start the project by importing the required modules.
from tkinter import * from pytube import YouTube
In this python project, we import Tkinter and pytube modules.
2. Create Display Window
root = Tk() root.geometry('500x350') root.resizable(0,0) root.config(bg = '#000000') root.title("Techarge-YouTube Video Downloader") root.iconbitmap("youtubeicon.ico")
- Tk() used to initialize tkinter to create display window
- geometry() used to set the window’s width and height
- resizable(0,0) set the fix size of window
- title() used to give the title of window
Label(root,text = 'Youtube Video Downloader', font ='arial 20 bold').place(x= 60 , y = 30)
- Label() widget use to display text that users can’t able to modify.
- root is the name of the window
- text which we display the title of the label
- font in which our text is written
- pack organized widget in block
3. Create Field to Enter Link
link = StringVar() Label(root, text = 'Paste Link Here:', font = 'arial 15 bold').place(x= 160 , y = 60) link_enter = Entry(root, width = 70,textvariable = link).place(x = 32, y = 90)
- link is a string type variable that stores the youtube video link that the user enters.
- Entry() widget is used when we want to create an input text field.
- width sets the width of entry widget
- textvariable used to retrieve the value of current text variable to the entry widget
- place() use to place the widget at a specific position
4. Create Function to Start Downloading
def Downloader(): url =YouTube(str(link.get())) video = url.streams.first() video.download() Label(root, text = 'DOWNLOADED', font = 'arial 15').place(x= 180 , y = 210) Button(root,text = 'DOWNLOAD', font = 'arial 15 bold' ,bg = 'pale violet red', padx = 2, command = Downloader).place(x=180 ,y = 150) root.mainloop()
Url variable gets the youtube link from the link variable by get() function and then str() will convert the link in string datatype.
The video is download in the first present stream of that video by stream.first() method.
Button() widget used to display button on the window.
- text which we display on the label
- font in which the text is written
- bg sets the background color
- command is used to call the function
root.mainloop() is a method that executes when we want to run the program.
Source code with comments
Python YouTube Downloader Output
So, here is our Python YouTube Downloader. Simple isn’t it?? This is how we have successfully done with the ‘Python YouTube Downloader using pytube’. I hope the ‘Tkinter and Pytube library is now more clear to you and don’t forget to try this code once!!
You can play around with the library, explore more features and even customize it further.
More Python Projects
- PYTHON ROCK PAPER SCISSORS GAME
- CURRENCY CONVERTER IN PYTHON
- COVID-19 TRACKER APPLICATION USING PYTHON