Amazon Web Services (AWS ) is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud platform, offering over 200 fully-featured services from data centers.
AWS has customers in over 190 countries worldwide, including 5000 ed-tech institutions and 2000 government organizations. Many companies like ESPN, Adobe, Twitter, Netflix, Facebook, BBC, etc., use AWS services.
What is Cloud Computing?
What is AWS?
History of AWS
- In the year 2002 – AWS services were launched
- In the year 2006- AWS cloud products were launched
- In the year 2012 – AWS had its first customer event
- In the year 2015- AWS achieved $4.6 billion
- In the year 2016- Surpassed the $10 billion revenue target
- In the year 2016- AWS snowball and AWS snowmobile were launched
- In the year 2019- Released approximately 100 cloud services
Who is the CEO of AWS?
Applications of AWS
AWS enables businesses to build a number of sophisticated applications. Organizations of every industry and of every size can run every imaginable use case on AWS. Here are some of the most common applications of AWS:
1. Storage and Backup
One of the reasons why many businesses use AWS is because it offers multiple types of storage to choose from and is easily accessible as well. It can be used for storage and file indexing as well as to run critical business applications.
Businesses can host their websites on the AWS cloud, similar to other web applications.
There is a lot of computing power needed to run gaming applications. AWS makes it easier to provide the best online gaming experience to gamers across the world.
4. Mobile, Web and Social Applications
A feature that separates AWS from other cloud services is its capability to launch and scale mobile, e-commerce, and SaaS applications. API-driven code on AWS can enable companies to build uncompromisingly scalable applications without requiring any OS and other systems.
Advantages of AWS
- We can get more time for core business tasks due to the instant availability of new features and services in AWS.
- It provides effortless hosting of legacy applications. AWS does not require learning new technologies and migration of applications to the AWS provides the advanced computing and efficient storage.
- AWS also offers a choice that whether we want to run the applications and services together or not. We can also choose to run a part of the IT infrastructure in AWS and the remaining part in data centres.
AWS requires no upfront investment, long-term commitment, and minimum expense when compared to traditional IT infrastructure that requires a huge investment.
Through AWS, autoscaling and elastic load balancing techniques are automatically scaled up or down, when demand increases or decreases respectively. AWS techniques are ideal for handling unpredictable or very high loads. Due to this reason, organizations enjoy the benefits of reduced cost and increased user satisfaction.
- AWS provides end-to-end security and privacy to customers.
- AWS has a virtual infrastructure that offers optimum availability while managing full privacy and isolation of their operations.
- Customers can expect high-level of physical security because of Amazon‘s several years of experience in designing, developing and maintaining large-scale IT operation centers.
- AWS ensures the three aspects of security, i.e., Confidentiality, integrity, and availability of user’s data.
What are the services provided by AWS?
Each type of service in this “What is AWS” blog, is categorized under a domain, the few domains which are widely used are:
- Network and Content Delivery
- Management Tools
- Security & Identity Compliance
The Compute domain includes services related to compute workloads, it includes the following services:
- EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud)
- Elastic Beanstalk
- Amazon LightSail
The Storage domain includes services related data storage, it includes the following services:
- S3 (Simple Storage Service)
- Elastic Block Store
- Amazon Glacier
- AWS Snowball
The Database domain is used for database related workloads, it includes the following services:
- Amazon Aurora
- Amazon RDS
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Amazon RedShift
The Migration domain is used for transferring data to or from the AWS Infrastructure, it includes the following services:
- AWS Database Migration Service
- AWS SnowBall
Networking and Content Delivery Services
The Networking and Content Delivery domain is used for isolating your network infrastructure, and content delivery is used for faster delivery of content. It includes the following services:
- Amazon Route 53
- AWS CloudFront
The Management Tools domain consists of services that are used to manage other services in AWS, it includes the following services:
- AWS CloudWatch
- AWS CloudFomation
- AWS CloudTrail
Security & Identity, Compliance Services
The Security & Identity, Compliance domain consists of services that are used to manage to authenticate and provide security to your AWS resources. It consists of the following services:
- AWS IAM
- AWS KMS
- AWS Shield
The Messaging domain consists of services that are used for queuing, notifying, or emailing messages. It consists of the following domains:
- Amazon SQS
- Amazon SNS
- Amazon SES
- Amazon Pinpoint